17-4PH Round Bar General Properties
Alloy 17-4 is a chromium-copper precipitation hardening stainless steel that is used for applications requiring high strength and a moderate level of corrosion resistance. It is one of the most widely used precipitation hardening grades, as it has high strength hardness up to about 572°F while demonstrating good orrosion resistance in all heat treated conditions. Alloy 17-4 has adequate resistance to atmospheric corrosion or in diluted acid salts where its corrosion resistance is equivalent to Alloy 304 or 430. Alloy 17-4 can be heat treated to a variety of temperatures to develop a wide range of properties. Its mechanical properties can be optimized with heat treatment where very high yield strength up to 180 ksi can be achieved. Alloy 17-4 should not be used at temperatures above 572°F or at very low temperatures. 17-4PH Round Bar
Specifications: UNS S17400
Alloy 17-4 is commonly used for applications requiring high strength and a moderate level of corrosion resistance. Some applications that frequently use Alloy 17-4 include:
- Nuclear waste casks
- Paper mills
- Oil fields
- Mechanical components
- Chemical process components
- Food industry
- ASTM/ASME: UNS S17400
- EURONORM: X5CrNiCuNb16.4
- AFNOR: Z6CNU17-04
- DIN: 1.4542
- Withstands corrosive attacks better than any of the standard hardenable stainless steels.
- Comparable to Alloy 304 in most media.
- Corrosion resistant in some chemical, petroleum, dairy, and food process industries.
- Subject to crevice or pitting attack if exposed to stagnant sea water for any length of time.
- Successfully welded by most common fusion and resistance methods.
- Should not be joined by oxyacetylene welding.
- Generally no pre-heating required.
- Inter-pass temperature must be limited to 248°F.
- Better toughness is obtained in the weld after a complete heat treatment.
Elevated Temperature Use:
- Excellent resistance to oxidation to approximately 1100°F.
- Long-term exposure to elevated temperature can result in reduced toughness in the precipitation hardened conditions.
Processing – Hot Forming:
- To forge, heat uniformly to 2150 / 2200°F and hold for half hour per inch.
- Preferred temperature range for hot forming is at 650-900°F, while the steel is still austenitic.
- To ensure the best condition for the hardening operations, the forgings must be re-heat treated at 1875-1925°F.
- Cool forgings to below 90°F to ensure grain refinement.
Processing – Cold Forming:
- Alloy 17-4 is limited to mild operations since in the annealed (solution treated) condition the material is hard.
- For severe cold working the material should be heat treated to condition H1150. This will help prevent possible cracking.
- Bend radius in excess of 7T is often required.
- To improve stress corrosion resistance after cold forming, re-aging at the precipitation-hardening temperature is recommended.
- Can be machined in both solution-treated and precipitation-hardening conditions.
- Machining conditions may vary with hardness of material.
- High-speed tools or preferably carbide tools with standard lubrication are normally used
Our 17-4PH Round Bar are widely exported to countries and regions such as the United States, Europe, Russia, Turkey, Malaysia, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, South Africa, Jordan, Tunisia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Colombia, and Sri Lanka.
Unpolished (Mill) Finish Brass Bar Hexagon, Hexagonal Brass Mill Rod, Brass Half Hard Hex Bar, C360 Brass Hex Rods, Free Cutting Brass Rod, Free Machining Hex Brass Bar, Hexagonal Brass Rod China Factory Unpolished (Mill) Finish Brass Bar Hexagon Hex Bar are available with us in a wide range of shapes and material grades. Here, […]
C360 Hexagonal Brass Mill Rod, Brass Half Hard Hex Bar, Brass Hex Bars, C360 Brass Hex Rods, Free Cutting Hex Brass Rods, Free Machining Hex Brass Bar, BRASS BAR HEXAGON, C360 Hexagonal Brass Rod China Factory C360 Hexagonal Brass Mill Rod Hex Bar are available with us in a wide range of shapes and material […]
Brass Half Hard Hex Bar, Brass Hex Bars, C360 Brass Hex Rods, Free Cutting Hex Brass Rods, Free Machining Hex Brass Bar, BRASS BAR HEXAGON, C360 Hexagonal Brass Rod China Factory Brass Half Hard Hex Bar are available with us in a wide range of shapes and material grades. Here, these hex bars offer an […]